Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ode to a dumpling

It was my mom's birthday this past weekend and in her honor, I decided to make some of her famous homemade dumplings. And I don't mean to toot my own horn but....toot toot. beep beep cuz they were awesome. :) And despite all the Chinese food available here, there's just nothing like my mom's homemade dumplings which is exactly why it hit the spot. It made me think of her, miss her, and appreciate her amazing cooking. I hope she knows how much I love and miss her and how much she is still part of my life here despite being 15,000 miles away.

Happy Birthday, Mom! Hope you're having a great time!

First comes the prepping of the filling made of pork, ginger, soy sauce, white pepper, salt, scallions, white cabbage, and my mom's secret ingredient. ;)




Then it comes together and looks a little something like this:

Then you wrap them all which takes a while but is also therapeutic so not so bad.


Then you wrap some more because let's face it, you gotta make extras for a rainy day.


And here's the finished masterpiece. These dumplings also make me think of Suse and how often we'd make these at our apt in college except back then I had a little delivery service called Mom who would drop them off to me every other week. Damn, those were the days...


Yum Yum!! Or in Hong Kong, we'd say "Ho Ho Sek!"


Again, Happy Birthday Mom! Hope you enjoyed these, but probably not nearly as much as I did. ;)













No comments:

Post a Comment